Sunday, May 17, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake!

I love cake.
I love all holidays that allow for the consumption of cake.
I love chocolate, lemon or white cake.
I love strawberry cake with cream cheese frosting.
I love birthday cake.
I love birthday cake for breakfast.
I love homemade cake.
I love bakery cake.
I love cake from McDonald's birthday parties of the 1980's.
I love fancy wedding cakes of today.

Yesterday we hosted a baby shower for the soon to be born Jay Jr. and true to tradition... we served cake!

Luckily that little luncheon was here in the Big City so I had to keep the leftover cake... and I just had what is the best cake move of ever- take one bite off of the cake with a fork.... then walk away...

Yesterday's cake was what I might consider my favorite bakery sheet cake right now- a lemon cake with soft fluffy butter cream frosting. These days we like getting it from Texas Star Bakery. They do not know I am giving them a shout out, and I hope they don't mind.

We have had fancifully decorated cakes form them in the past with 3-D flowers coming out of the cake- and I don't mean roses, I mean bluebonnets, daffodils, buttercups... these are really skilled decorators, but yesterday's cake just had polka dots on it and we added a few Fisher Price Little People Animals to spice up the baby shower. No matter- the cake was as fresh as if I had baked it that morning and is still just as wonderful today. MMMMMM. Cake for dessert tonight.

If you are anywhere within a 50 mile radius of the Big City... I highly recommend a trip to Texas Star Bakery. They might make other things than cake- but really who cares?!

1 comment:

lulu said...

I'll second that - the only one who makes a better lemon cake is the paper girl, and she puts lemon curd between the layers.....IT IS LARIPEN......