Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's like a lightbulb has come on...

I suspect many families have some sort of menu planning process. Until yesterday ours went something like this: I would go to the store a few times a month and guess about what I might make for dinners and buy ingredients accordingly.

Each day we would then have the same conversation:
Me: “What would you like for dinner?”
Peep: “What are my choices?”
Me: “Whatever we have here… take a look.”

Yesterday that all changed. It was magical really.

I said, “What would you like for dinner this week?” The Peep said, “What are my choices.”

I wrote on the back of a school paper a list of about 30 things that I either knew how to make or was willing to try. Luckily I had a copy of the America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook sitting on the counter to help with list suggestions. I couldn’t have come up with 30 choices off the top of my head…

She picked something for last night, baked zitti, tonight fancy chicken, tomorrow traditional chicken pot pie, Friday homemade pizza and Sunday spaghetti and meatballs…

I am so excited to have a plan!

For those of you (my sister) who would like to see the list to get inspired... here you go...

Chili   Fancy chicken   Broiled steaks   Wild rice   Baked ziti   Salmons   Broccoli   Eggs   Spinach   Spaghetti and meatballs  Baked chicken   Pancakes   Pork tenderloin   Quesadillas   Chicken pot pie   Grilled cheese   Brisket   Chicken and dumplings   French toast   Beef burgundy   Meatloaf   Pan seared salmon   Risotto   Shrimp and garlic   Pot roast   Macaroni and cheese   Seared scallops   Pizza   Artichokes   Brussels sprouts   Corn   Cauliflower   Roasted potatoes   Sweet potatoes   Asparagus  
Corn pudding

2 comments:

Hilldog said...

I am so doing this!! I even started it last night when we talked about it! Way to go sister!!

lulu said...

great job girls! I've been asking your dad to give me a list for years - that he can cook, of course!