Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Spiced Tea



I was talking to a couple girlfriends yesterday about tea.

One of them was asking about tea for drinking in the cold winter and though I admit that we don’t have much of the cold here in the Big City…

 I started telling her about tea my momma used to make in the 1980’s and then I thought I’d tell you about it.

My Mom has been making this tea every winter as long as I can remember.  When I was in elementary school we used to give it to teachers as our Christmas gifts- you know back when the gifts before December break were called Christmas Gifts- and when December Break was called Christmas Break.  Back in the crazy old days. 

Now my parents give it to their friends in their supper club as part of their annual gift exchange along with homemade salsa.

It’s a traditional and tasty tea- though if you’ve never had it you might think- total gag- but I’m telling you- it is good.  

Seriously good.

So here’s my copy of the recipe on my 1988 recipe cards


Spiced Tea

2 Cups of Tang- you know the beverage of the astronauts. 
2 cups of sugar- (my mom tried using splenda this year- I do not know how it turned out- maybe if she reads this she can let us know)
¾ Cup of Instant Lemon Sweet Tea 
1 ½ Cup of Regular Instant Tea
1 TBSP cinnamon

Mix it all up in a bowl, store it in a jar and when it’s cold outside make a cup of hot water and put in a few teaspoons of the powdery mix and stir it.  Warm your hands on the cup and sip. 



No comments: